Skyla's Birth Story


Parent’s Name: Kyle and Beckie Badge

Baby’s name and birthday: Skyla Summer Badge, Born March 18 at 4:09 AM

This baby was your 1st baby and your 1st home birth

Address: 8541 Belvedere St. Sw, Byron Center, MI 49315

Why did you choose to have your baby at home?

I always felt in my heart that if I ever had kids home birth would be best.  When my husband and I watched Business of Being Born that got me motivated to find a good midwife. I have never done well being rushed and I knew a good midwife would give me all the time I needed to pop the little munchkin out. The body knows best and a lot of hospitals don’t respect that.

Describe your labor and birth.

On the morning of March 16th I awoke with a lot of extra energy. I was not able to fall asleep until 3AM on the morning of the 17th. I slept for three hours and at 6:00AM I awoke with mild cramps.  I didn’t say anything to anyone because I thought they were just “those contractions” people talk about getting weeks before delivery.  The 17th was a busy day spent on and off the road doing several different activities, ranging from measuring a chicken coop to canning maple sap.

The “cramps,” I was having were beginning to interfere with my activities. I grew irritated with the thought that I might be dealing with them for a few weeks before actually having baby Skyla.  Around 8:30 I called my husband, who was working in Byron Center, while I stayed at my parents until the baby’s birth.  I told him about the “mild cramps” I had been having all day. He told me to call Patrice and call him back ASAP.  I called Patrice and she told me to drink lots of liquids and go to bed early. I thought to myself, “how in the world am supposed to fall asleep.” None the less I told her I would definitely go to bed early. It was after this that I decided to get the maple sap canned. By the time I finished canning it was about 10:00PM and what I still thought was cramps had gotten a bit stronger. I decided that I should let my mom know. She gave me her watch so I could time what she thought might be contractions.  I hopped in the Jacuzzi and began timing them. I found that they were consistently five minutes apart and 20 seconds long.  I was still not convinced that they were contractions, but when I told my mom she was pretty convinced that they were. I decided to call my husband in Byron Center and tell him to drive up to Big Rapids because I didn’t want to be in pain through the night without him.  He left soon after we talked and arrived at my parents at about 11:30PM.  We went for an amazing walk through the woods. It felt wonderful. When we got back Kyle timed what I was beginning to think might be contractions. They were 3 minutes apart and 40 seconds long. They didn’t hurt all that bad they were more or less just annoying.  My mom decided we should call Patrice around 1:00AM. I was still not convinced that I was in labor so I disagreed. She called her anyways. Patrice told my mom that I should walk around and if the contractions got further apart or closer together. They got closer together. Kyle called Patrice back and told her the timing on what I was now convinced were contractions.  Patrice and Amanda showed up at our house at 2:15AM. I was kind of in pain by then but, decided not to show it off to anyone but Kyle. At ten minutes to 3 I was talking with Amanda and Patrice and Amanda noticed that I was curling my toes. I went up to the bedroom I planned on having Skyla and once I got up there the contractions began to get stronger and longer. Patrice came up a few times to check on us. She brought with her some very positive energy which helped soothe the pain. Kyle massaged my back through the contractions, which felt really nice.  At 3:30 my water broke and the active labor quit. Kyle ran downstairs and told Amanda and Patrice that my water broke. They came upstairs to check on me. Right after my water broke my body began pushing really hard.  After about fifteen minutes of pushing I thought I could feel the baby’s head but thought it was behind some tissue, but It wasn’t.  I was standing because laying down sounded offal.  After I pood Patrice asked if I wanted to lie on the bed because if I was standing there was a good possibility of tearing. I did not want that so I lay on the bed and minutes after baby Skyla was born.  At some point while I was on the bed Patrice applied a warm compress and that really helped with the stinging sensation that seemed to come with the pushing.  When Skyla was half way out she gave me a swift kick which hurt and that’s when I pushed the rest of her out.  At 4:09AM Skyla joined us in the outside world.  I had no rips tears or other issues. Kyle and I were blessed with a 7 lb 3oz 19inch long bundle of joy.

What was your favorite part of your baby’s birth?

I honestly look back and enjoyed the whole thing. It was an exciting day.  I had great midwives that I trusted and a wonderful husband and mom to help me through it.

What would you do differently if you had another baby?

Maybe keep better track of my cycle so I can have a better idea of when I am due. Other than that I would do absolutely nothing differently.

How can we improve our services?

Your services were great. You are kind, compassionate people who are doing an amazing job helping mothers have babies the natural way.  I am so happy with my birth and the healthy baby that it brought me.

Thank you